Thursday, June 18, 2009

Post #5

Part One:

Channel 5 Eyewitness News Veiwing Log

I have to say that I really enjoyed watching and tracking how much of each contect is shown on the news. Having done it, I noticed how much time commercials really take up and the transitions during the news broadcast. I found it amazing that little time was spent on each content area and you only hear peices of the story each night you watch the news. Channel 5 has a fansy transition slide thing they show when they switch to a different broadcaster for a different story. They also took sometime in the beginning of the news cast to advertise 5 news online.

Part Two:

Teaching critical analysis of the news:

I think to start off a subject like this I would show some media examples. What came to my mind was to listen to John Mayer's song Waiting on the World to Change. Next I would show a short clip from Mr. Deeds where they show the rescue of the woman and cats from the burning building and the news story of the rescue. I think that would be a good jumping off point. I would then have them brainstorm of events that they went to that the news may have left details out of.

As for student assignment, I think that I would have them do something similar as we did here. This is a great way to get students to realize what content is being shown and how much of it we the public are actually getting. Commercals take up a long time in that short half hour news broadcast and students should time it out to see how much time that really takes up. To close I think I would have a discussion on what their thoughts are on the topic and what they think might benefit the News if it were lawfully made to change its ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment